Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cut it, or Keep it?



This dress is like a cloud... soft sheer cotton layers that float around my ankles. While there's nothing I like more than an excuse to wear a costume, I was sure there was something worth playing around with in this dress. The ruffles are definitely a feature that have come in and out of fashion in a million ways, and soft flirty dresses are always the biggest thing for spring.

But to bring it up to speed and make it into something wearable today, I figure the 'less-is-more' policy is the way to go. Removing the sleeves and collar brought down the formality several notches:

But now I have to make a crucial decision: To hem, or not to hem. I originally planned on shortening the length to just graze the mid-knee... light nd kicky. young and fresh. Yet, like a new hair cut, the moment of no return is daunting. Looking at this skirt makes it so enticing to leave thew length and gallavant around the garden! But my instict tells me that this won't quite fit into the casual look of last summer's maxi-dress. Taking up the hem will certaintly provide more opportunities to pull this out of the closet this summer, and it would be a shame not to see this number in the sun.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to hem. Maxi it up for the summer and then trim it up in 12 months from now when we're over the ankle-skimming them. xo

Anonymous said...

I think keep it also.
The way the fabric moves...I don't think the dress will have the same elegance if you shorten in. Yea, so it's not quite as versatile, but so what?! :D
BTW the poll doesn't seem to work...

Suzanne Zappia said...

yeah, the poll was broken so i deleted it.
Thanks for the votes ladies: the final poll on facebook/blogger was 6:2 in favor of leaving the legnth.

now all I need is to find a lovely ladies luncheon or something else suitable to wear it to!

E said...

I kind of like it long. It's so unusual and really not too froofy. I love. I do!