Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Designer DIY

I owe all the sewing skill I have to my mom. She keeps my interest going and is always sharing her knowledge and newest projects.
When it came time for my sister's wedding, we went dress shopping to find her the perfect dress- NOT the 'mother-of-the-bride specialties that seem to be featured in all the stores.

We fell in love with a Nanette Lepore piece; the cut, colour, and fabric were perfect. But at almost $500 it was not to be had!
Instead, my mom decided to put her skills to use, and make her own version of the designer number. Being the excellent seamstress that she is, found this great silk-like fabric for $40, crafted a pattern herself, and in a couple of days- Voila! A knock-out knock-off!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow!!! That's amazing!! I wish I had sewing skills like you and your mother. I can't even take antyhing in without something going wrong.....




clothedmuch.blogspot.com

E said...

OH MY GOD! That is amazing! I can't believe how much it looks like the real thing! Maybe better!

Anonymous said...

It looks so much better on your mom than it does on the model IMHO