Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mouret's 50's Dress

















I went looking for this dress (or something like it) and was thrilled to find a pattern that fit what I was looking for so very closely.
My version ended up being quite a bit more conservative than Demi Moore's Roland Mouret design.

Though I wouldn't mind taking another stab at it, with a much more casual, clingy fabric.



















This piece was started two years ago. After painstakingly piecing the complex pattern together I found that the entire shape was far too wide across the chest, causing it to buckle through the front and dig in under the arms. I guess my frustration got the best of me, because I put it away until last week, when I dismantled it and added some princess seams to the front to narrow the bust line.
I think it was worth the wait. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Can I hire you to make me one? :)

-Kathryn

Suzanne Zappia said...

haha, so far i don't trust myself to play with other people's fabrics/$, lol. there were a lot of bumps in the road to get here.

Kristin said...

Wow, your dress is amazing! I hope this awesomeness has boosted your sewing mojo, looking forward to seeing more. :) Kristin

Unknown said...

So, I totally need to borrow that pattern. I'm the master of not messing up other people's patterns... promise. :) Came with years of borrowing my mother's vintage ones.

jeanette Hargrove said...

I attempted to make this dress and was so disappointed at the way it fitted across the top(too wide). Now I think I will try it again using your suggestion. Any other helpful tips?

jeanette Hargrove said...

I made this dress and was disappointed when I couldn't get it to fit across the chest( too wide), now I try it again using your method. Thanks Sue