Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Pattern: 3 Coats

This is by far the most-used pattern I own. It's a simple base that can be altered and transformed a million ways with a little creativity...

Over three years, I made three very different coats using this pattern (as well as the aforementioned dress, posted below). One coat each fall, when the air just begins to turn chilly.



















In hindsight I had chosen a pretty challenging fabric for my first try. But my old sturdy machine didn't miss a beat and the shifting, fraying, stretching weave formed a classic cut.

My favorite element of this model is the over-sized covered buttons.












This was a bit more of an experiment! Made from another dollar-store printed bed sheet, and lined with thin baby blue fleece. The pink tones and bell sleeves make it a playful piece.
I omitted clasps on this one, as it was more of a cozy blazer, but layering a belt made it much more wearable.















The Green Winter Coat. mmm, my favorite:
Deep green corduroy, fully-lined with chocolate brown teddy-bear fur (including the pockets!), and finished with pull-over toggle clasps.

My inspiration:
clipped from a magazine... at the time I was disheartened to find no green felt coating at the local fabric store, but the corduroy is very durable.

Several lessons learned in this project:

a) fur-lined pockets are cozy, but puffy. they had a bit of a spoiling effect on the sleek silhouette of the inspiration photo.
b) long-sleeve shirts worn in fur-lined sleeves will twist when walking, arg!
c) cleaning up bits of fur in my apartment afterward, looked like a teddy-bear massacre had taken place.

No comments: