Friday, November 28, 2008

Cream Dress (a la Jackie Kennedy)

As mentioned before, with a little imagination and willingness to try things, this coat pattern has limitless uses. Essentially, it's a starting point, or a base.

For the dress below, I cut the front piece on a center fold, making one solid piece. I also changed the neckline, added front and back darts, a zipper to the back, and created cap sleeves.
The fabric is a soft synthetic knit with a bit of weight to it. Needed to be lined, but not so thin as to be see-through.

Now if only we were having a Christmas party at work, this would have been perfect for the occasion.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

We should have sewing dates. I got a new one for xmas so I no longer need to clug along on my old '50s honker.

Suzanne Zappia said...

I'm actually a big fan of the 'old 50's honkers'. i find some of the newer machines a little light-weight for my liking... mine is a 1950's WHITE machine.